Fanfare, please! My first (in a long row of quilts to-be) reproduction quilt is finished. The pattern by Carol Hopkins is called Lincoln’s Logs, named after the children’s toy that was popular some decades ago. Lincoln Logs were miniature logs with which you could build small buildings, like Uncle Tom’s cabin, or Abraham Lincoln’s cabin. Obviously, these toy logs inspired Carol to name this very simple log cabin pattern after them.
I made this first reproduction quilt with fabrics from my stash. Only scraps are needed, and scraps were all I had. Only recently I bought a small variety of repro fabrics, but that was only after I began this quilt.
I’m only just beginning to understand what exactly makes a fabric a reproduction fabric. It has to do with colour, and with design. I guess I will have to find out more about that soon.
I know that not all the fabrics I used here are repro fabrics. And with some I’m not sure. But I do know that two of them are old (used) fabrics. One was a man’s shirt once, and the other a duvet cover (the blue/white striped). That’s the reason why I have lots of this last one and hence used it for the back as well.
I hand quilted Lincoln’s Logs with white thread. Four-petalled flowers in the centre of each log cabin block and some single petals and a circle on the sides and bottom. The dark logs are not quilted, as well as the striped sashing strips. The outer border has a meandering twine with leaves in the same shape as the petals.
As super simple hangers for small quilts, I always sew two fabric squares folded into triangles to the corners, together with the binding.
My new flat is on the top floor. The few straight walls are covered with my furniture. So I have almost no space for hanging pictures or quilts. But this mini quilt perfectly fits on any door, and that’s where it hangs now: my bedroom door.