My mother found herself this panel fabric with matching red, white, and green prints on a fabric market. She meant to make something out of it but never did. Eventually, she gave it to me with the hint that she would like to replace the three pictures above their sofa with a quilt.
Her birthday is in October, so I had plenty of time to plan and sew. I used to like panel fabrics formerly, but with increased sewing skills (harrumph) I don’t anymore. I find it rather dull to have a single print playing the chief part instead of a design I pieced or appliquéd myself. The only challenge lies in finding a co-starring pattern as sashing between the panel pieces.
The hardest part, though, was to get along with the fabric at hand without having a pattern or any data on fabric requirements. In the end, I can boast that I did extremely well. I used up my mom’s fabric almost to the last inch, no need to add anything from my stash which might not quite match this particular line.
I machine quilted it with continuous twirls and bound it with the red print I cut off from between the four panels. Hope you like it, mom.